Sunday, November 18, 2007

A cockroach in Shekhar’s next

Before he went about donning a film director’s hat, Shekhar Kapur was an accountant, a model, an actor, a chat-show host and even a scuba diving instructor! “Diving has always been a passion. I was an instructor ages ago. Whenever I get a chance, I go for a swim in the sea or go scuba diving,” says the director enthusiastically.

Shekhar jokes about how he’s hoping that adman Prahlad Kakkar would ‘someday’ invite him to his scuba diving school at Lakshadweep. He assures us that he’s not going to take up his old job.

“I discovered that life was not just about a career when I was 24,” says the critically-acclaimed direcor currently in town to promote his film ‘Elizabeth: The Golden Age’. “My life has been a journey from then on for discovering new things and learning more about myself,” he adds.

Apart from the last part of the Elizabeth trilogy, the director is also planning to take up an animation film where the central character will be a cockroach!

He has somehow managed to convince AR Rahman to be on board for this project. “The cockroach will be the only living character left in a world when there are no humans left,” he says.

Coming back to his controversial movie, we ask if he obsessed with Elizabeth? “It’s a character that I can manipulate as most things related to her and that era is almost mythical,” he shoots back, admitting that he is besotted by Cate Blanchett as “she’s one of the most talented actors in the world”.

But the one girl who has wrested all his attention right now is his seven-year-old daughter Kaveri. “I am planning a vacation with her in Goa. There are times when at the end of the day she falls asleep on my shoulder. I stay awake all night because I am scared that she might wake up if I moved,” he signs off.

Courtesy: DnaIndia.com

No comments: