Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rahman: In sync

Rahman’s is perhaps the most popular Indian music-composer with a fan following across borders.


What is it about his music that has struck a chord globally? "I don’t know. I think the almighty has been kind to me," he says in a matter of fact tone. But there must be something that inspires him to come up with unforgettable tunes. "I think music is about personality as it reflects an artist’s inner-self. Inspiration could come from anything, the team you are working with, pressure, the script, an idea etc. But the essence is derived from nature and the desire to give something that will be cherished," he adds.


What’s presently got him most excited is a new role that he is stepping into that of a teacher. "I am coming up with a music school, K Music Conservatory. All these years, I have been investing in machinery. So, at 41, I have realised it makes sense to invest in art which is why I decided to go ahead with the music school," he shares. Learning music from AR Rahman should be an extra ordinary experience. People must be queuing up already.

Been everywhere, done everything, we wonder where he sees himself heading from here. "Art is always about the search for the next level, and that is what has kept me going all this while," he signs off.

Courtesy: TimesofIndia.com

No comments: