Friday, May 29, 2009

Rahman summons Rekha

Rekha Bhardwaj, known for the depth in her voice in songs like Namak ishq ka (Omkara) and Genda phool (Delhi 6), was recently called to Chennai 
Rekha Bhardwaj
Rekha Bhardwaj
to do a rescue act for AR Rahman. 


Initially, another singer was asked to sing the song Ranjhna ranjha written by Gulzar and composed by Rahman for Mani Ratnams Raavana. But when she failed to rise to the occasion, Rekha was asked to do the needful. She said, Yes, I had to leave for Chennai at short notice. I was called along with Gulzar saab and Shaad Ali (whos assisting Mani in Raavana). 

Rekha said that she enjoyed singing for someone other than husband Vishal. But I wish I was given more time to prepare and absorb the song, she said. 
Gulzar said, We recorded a thumri composed by Rahman . The good thing about this semi-classical number is that it is sung by Rekha, who is like my daughter. I think its her first song for Mani. 

Rekha has been trained by the renowned classical vocalist Pandit Amarnathji . She really knows her job. Rahmans score in the film is unique, said Gulzar.

Courtesy: indiatimes.com

No comments: