Friday, April 11, 2008

I have started my own label: A.R. Rahman

From Roja, Bombay, Dil Se, Lagaan and Taal to Rang De Basanti, Guru and the recent release Jodha Akbar- A.R. Rahman has redefined Bollywood film music with his unique panache. TWF correspondent Sreya Basu catches up with the man with the musical Midas touch during his breezy trip to Kolkata.

What brings you to Kolkata this time?
I am here to shoot the season finale of Airtel Bandwagon, a television reality show to provide a platform to new music bands. We shot at the Technicians Studio in Tollygunge.

Why is that Kolkatans don't see much of Rahman in the city?
It's true that I don't frequent Kolkata unlike Chennai, or in that case, Mumbai, but this city will always have a special place in my heart and career. After all, it was in Kolkata that I staged my first concert in the country way back in February, 2003.

We heard that you are going to open a music conservatory?
Yes. It will be opened in Chennai in June this year. It is my dream project and is going to be the first music conservatory of India for training our musicians in western classical music. The first branch of the conservatory will be opened in Kolkata.

When is that going to happen?
See, this kind of project requires a lot of planning and time. It took us years to come up with the one at Chennai. I guess we will have to wait for another couple of years for the next one.

What about a concert in Kolkata?
I am planning to stage a larger-than-life concert here by the end of this year. Right now I am working on my new album. It is almost 10 years since I have come up with anything new- after the release of my last album Vande Mataram.

What is your take on the music scene in Kolkata?
Well, the city breathes refreshing music. Why only Kolkata, the traditional and folk music of Bengal is a pool of inspiration. I even included baul music in the Hindi film Mangal Pandey. I would love to explore the new talents and music of Bengal. Pandit Ajay Chakraborty and Ustad Rashid Khan are among my favourites.

Your music for the play The Lord Of the Rings staged at Theatre Royal Drury Lane in London has turned into a phenomenal success. Do you plan a similar play in India as well?
If I plan a musical play in India that has to be superior than Bombay Dreams and The Lord of the Rings. Outside India people literally travel across cities and even countries to watch a play.

People from France and Germany booked their tickets in advance for The Lord of the Rings. India is strongly possessive about her tradition and genre of theatre and music.

If only we manage to break off this shell that we too will be in a position to experiment a little with Indian theatre, especially when today there is no dearth of sponsors here.

You started with Tamil films, then Hindi, and now composing music for Broadway and West End as well. What's next in line?
I have started my own label. That means I have the freedom to experiment and do whatever I want to do with and for music. I would like to exploit this opportunity thoroughly.

Courtesy: santabanta.com

No comments: