Wednesday, August 20, 2008

‘Talent is not age-dependent’

Living in London, did you get to estimate how much of a rage Kabhi Kabhi Aditi from Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na would turn out to be?
Although I’m based in London, I travel a lot to India and have many contacts there. And in today’s time of Internet boom, topographical difference can hardly be a dampener. Besides, there are many satellite Asian channels, which play Bollywood music. And Aditi is not the only song that I had sung in the film, there’s also Kahin to. Earlier too, I had sung a number, Ishq Ada Hai in the film, Ada. So, it’s not that I’m clueless about how my songs are doing. I also made it a point to catch the flick.


What was the response to your first playback, Ishq Ada Hai?
Ishq Ada Hai was recorded seven years back as AR was looking for a singer who could sing in a
totally different style. In addition, AR essentially wanted an acoustic and organic feel to the song. He asked me to play some guitar and I started experimenting with what became the intro. He wanted an intense effect to the voice and suggested that style. I was glad that song was chosen for the promo of the film and found its way to the top five in many charts. I’m pleased that both this song and Kabhi Kabhi Aditi were the first songs on each of the respective albums.

Was a career in music a natural choice, since your mother carved a niché for herself in the world of classical music?
My mother was a ghazal singer but she would regularly perform lighter music. She successfully recorded some albums in UK, one of which featured Ustad Ghulam Mustafa’s compositions. As far as I’m concerned, I broadened my outlook in music having adapted to many genres in Western, Asian and World music. Thankfully, I’ve also gained a lot of experience in studio work as well as by performing live with many musicians — playing Jazz gigs to Arabic music. Having recognized my ethnicity, I also listened to many Indian artistes whilst growing up.

You had worked with Rahman on the Bombay Dreams project and had been part of the troupe for a while as a guitarist, before this big break. How did the two of you come together?
I met AR at a concert in UK, seven years ago. The initial conversation was completely about my mother, Farida Ali’s connection with Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan, since he had worked on her ghazal album in UK and also about my love for Jazz music.

You started off as a guitarist and then emerged as a singer...
From the beginning, AR knew I was also a singer. It just took time for tracks like Ishq Ada Hai to surface. India is looking for new sounds and styles — now is a good time to be in Bollywood.

When you chatted Rahman up, were you aware of his iconic status?
At that point of time, I did not know too much about AR’s projects, other than the fact that he had given music for Bombay, Rangeela and Taal.

You are 42 and yet sound like a 20-something in Aditi. Has age got nothing to do with how one sounds?
Talent is not age-dependent. I do naturally have a young voice, since I do look after my voice and myself.

Having given a smash hit, would you now like to pursue Bollywood seriously?
Since I am a singer, I feel that I would like to pursue any projects, which will highlight my abilities. Bollywood is an important part in the spectrum of entertainment. Besides this, I hope to further showcase myself as a guitarist and composer.

What’s keeping you busy at the moment?
Right now, I am working on my own album which will be produced by AR Rahman’s own music label. I am the first one to be signed on by him. I want India to discover not just Rashid Ali’s voice but also what his own music and guitar playing is about. There’s no denying one thing — Rashid Ali is here to stay.

Courtesy: timesofindia.com

No comments: