Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chakravarthy looks up to RGV

The grapevine is abuzz that J D Chakravarthy is playing the villain opposite superstar Rajinikanth in Shankar’s Enthiran. 
J D Chakravarthy
J D Chakravarthy (TOI Photo)



Ask him about it and he says with a smile, “Even I got to know about my role in the movie from others. I was surprised when my friends called up and congratulated me. But that isn’t the case. There is no truth in these rumours.”
Chakravarthy, whose performance in Ram Gopal Varma’s Sathya earned him accolades, is currently busy with Vishnuvardhan’s Sarvam.

The actor, who remains tight-lipped about his role in the film, is all praise for the director. “After Sathya, Sarvam impressed me a lot. It’s a fantastic film. If all directors know what to do, Vishnuvardhan knows what not to do,” says Chakravarthy. Prod him a little more for information about his role in the film and he finally relents by saying, “Arya and I are both well represented in the film. My character is that of a suppressed and angry man.”

So, how did his tryst with movies begin? “When I turned 14, I decided to enter films. I knew that I had to struggle as I was not a chikna and had no six-pack. My sister encouraged me saying that I was a born actor. I had a friend who worked in Annapoorna Studio owned by Telugu star Nagarjuna. To try my luck, I went to the studio and a young man in his 20s walked up to me and asked if I was interested in acting. I swear, no one else could have given a screen test worse than mine. I was very nervous when I realised that I was standing in front of the person who was going to decide the future course of my life. To my surprise, when I went to the studio the next day, I was told that I was selected. So, that’s how Shiva happened.”

From the beginning, Ram Gopal Varma and Chakravarthy have shared an excellent rapport. So, how does he explain the chemistry that brought about this lasting bond between the two? “If I were a woman, people would have decided that we were having an affair. Ram Gopal Varma is my inspiration. Every time I lose hope, Ramu recharges me. He is my godfather,” he says.

The actor has also starred in Mani Ratnam’s award-winning masterpiece Kannathil Muthamittal. What does the actor have to say about the acclaimed director? “If you compare Ramu and Mani, they are two opposite poles. If Ramu deals with physics, Mani deals with chemistry. Ramu is a bundle of surprises but Mani hates them. Both are experts in their own way of film-making,” he says.
Chakravarthy was also supposed to do Mani Ratnam’s flick Thiruda Thiruda which later went to Anand.

The actor’s latest Telugu film Homam has brought him laurels and projects have been flowing his way.

Chakravarthy, who is recovering from an accident that he suffered on the sets of Sarvam in which he broke his collar bone and fractured two ribs, is getting into the thick of the action once again.

On his upcoming projects, he says, “I am now making a sequel to Homam called Maran Homam. I’m also doing a Telugu film that talks about the integrity of the police system. Ramu has approved the Telugu version but I am planning to make it in Tamil too. I am also producing two films.”

An actor, director, singer, music director and now producer...with varied avatars, is Chakravarthy planning another Dasavatharam? “Before I reach Dasavatharam, Kamal would have reached a hundred avatharams. He is a genius. I am a great fan of Kamal and Rajinikanth,” he signs off.


Courtesy: indiatimes.com

No comments: