Thursday, October 30, 2008

'Yuvvraaj' has been a creative challenge for me: AR Rahman

We catch up with A.R.Rahman and quiz him on what he has in store for all Rahmaniacs (die-hard A.R. Rahman fans) this time around with the soundtrack of 'Yuvvraaj'.
'Yuvvraaj' has been a creative challenge for me: AR Rahman
Q. This year has been a treat for A.R.Rahman fans. After a royal and vintage score in 'Jodhaa Akbar', you gave us the peppy and zany 'Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane Na'. What do you have in store for your fans with 'Yuvvraaj'?
 
The music of 'Yuvvraaj' is something which we (Mr, Ghai, Gulzaar saab and myself) have all worked very hard on. Since the film itself is a musical, the music plays a very important role. I wouldn't like to say much about what's in store as far as the music goes. I don't even want to say the clichéd stuff that this is completely different from what I have done. All I would like to ask the people is to listen it for themselves and I hope they like it (smiles).
 
Q. Subhash Ghai's films are known for the music and this one is a musical. You've worked with Mr. Ghai earlier in 'Taal' and then in 'Kisna'. How similar or different has been the experience working with the showman?
 
It has always been a pleasure to associate with Subhashji on his projects. Working on the music of 'Yuvvraaj' has been a creative challenge for me, as Subhashji has always been associated with melodious music and has a vast understanding about the subject. As for comparisons with 'Taal', all I would say is that this is completely different. It's a different story, set in a different place and is also multi-cultural. 'Taal' was more Punjabi-friendly, remix, rhythmic kind of music etc. whereas 'Yuvvraaj' is more about melody and love etc... 'Yuvvraaj' being a musical and a grand film, audio is just 50%. The visuals and the music complement each other.
 
Q. Did you give him many sleepless nights considering you like to work at night?
 
I had a request from Mrs.Ghai asking me not to work very late in the night. So whenever it was 12 at night, I used to tell him, "I am tired. So let's call it a day" (laughs)
 
Q. The music of 'Yuvvraaj' has a very European kind of a feel with symphony, large scale orchestrations etc.
 
Yeah, we've used a Motif from Beethoven's 5th Symphony because the story is set in Austria/ Prague etc. Hence, we wanted that experience and feel to come alive through the music.
 
Q. You are known to give new singers a chance be itNaresh Iyer or Rashid Ali or Benny Dayal. How do you find this new and untapped talent every time?
 
It just happens. We just check them out and if they are good enough we give them a break (smiles).
 
 
Q. How long did it take to compose the music for 'Yuvvraaj' and what was the brief given?
 
The initial brief was Mr Ghai always wanted to have a full fledged orchestra kind of a musical score and with 'Yuvvraaj' he has fulfilled his desire. I hope people like it and appreciate it.

Q. Lyrics have been written byGulzar Saab...How has been the experience working with him?
 
I love working with Gulzaar saab. His whole temperament and vast experience is something which I really admire. All the films that I have worked with him have been really enjoyable.
 
Q. Which track is closest to your heart?
 
I like "Tu Muskura"...it's a really soulful number.
 
Q. A lot has been said about Katrina playing the cello. Whose idea was it and is it the first time that the cello has been used in a Hindi film?
 
It was Mr. Ghai's idea. I don't think the cello has been used in any other Hindi film on screen. The sight of a beautiful girl playing an instrument like the cello seems like an overwhelming visual. It's really nice.
 
Q. Which soundtracks have you liked in the recent past?
 
I've heard a couple of songs of 'Rock On'. I loved the trailer and the whole concept seems really interesting. I want to watch 'Rock On'.
 
Q. Finally, what's next in line after 'Yuvvraaj'?
 
After 'Yuvvraaj', there is the Aamir Khan starrer 'Ghajini'. I am also doing the music for Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd.'s multi-starrer 'Blue'. There is also Danny Boyle's 'Slumdog Millionaire', the music of which is already done. So there's a lot to look forward too.

Courtesy: msn.com

No comments: