Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hollywood keeps Rahman too busy for Bollywood


So full are Rahman’s hands with current assignments in the West that he has decided not to accept any new films. “

At the moment, I’m racing against time to complete the Indian projects I’ve on hand and that includes Mani Ratnam’s Raavana, Rajnikanth’s animation film Sultan and Tony D’Souza’s Blue. The last new assignment I accepted was 
Abbas Tyrewala’s 1:800-LOVE. I’ve stopped taking on anymore for now.”

Rahman is going through a schizophrenic phase. He says, “In the studio, my outer self has to be completely switched off. But when I’m at international public events, I’ve to be all there, shaking hands, making friendly talk. I’ve to ensure that I am saying the right things. I’ve to prepare myself physically, look into the mirror and make sure my hair and tie are in place.”

Rahman doesn’t mind letting his ‘outer self’ look dapper. But people around him don’t seem that comfortable with his upgraded look. Chuckles Rahman, “My south Indian friends say, ‘Oh look at him 
...he’s changed!’ And that makes me uncomfortable. I realise I have to go out there with a certain amount of dignity and even style. I know I’m representing my country and everyone is watching.”

It’s not easy being India’s brand ambassador in the West. And Rahman, shy and reclusive at the best of times, finds it tough to assume his new gregarious, well-groomed persona with international brands vying to dress him up from head to toe.

“It’s all new to me. I’ve just begun to get a hang of it. But I’m not uncomfortable,” he says. At the moment, Rahman is fighting off the temptation of taking on too many international assignments. He explains, “I take on what is physically possible. Money is not the main criteria. If I did anything for money, everything will fall flat. I want to do only those assignments to which I can give my fullest.”

However Rahman admits money is important. He says, “Money is not my dream. But it fulfils my dreams. The way I travel and accompanying expenses are costly. It is, for me, my family and my children’s future.”

With success, come the riders. He says, “My wife dreamt that one day I’d win an Oscar which I did. But after that I’ve been constantly traveling. The kids are growing up now and one of us has to look after them. I’m spending as much time with them as I can. Or trying to make them part of what I do so they can be with me.”

At the moment, Rahman has only one ambition. “I want to be happy.” 



Courtesy: indiatimes.com

No comments: