Thursday, November 20, 2008

Catch Rahman, Salman sing Yuvvraaj


Music has always played a powerful part in Subhash Ghai's films. Yuvvraaj is no different. And doing the honours is the brilliant A R Rahman.
We got Rahman to talk about the film's music, and sing as well -- don't miss the video! Salman Khan could not resist the songs too, and gave us the unplugged version of Dost.Katrina Kaif had her say about the music as well.
But first, over to Rahman:
You have worked with Subhash Ghai in most of his films.
I have been working with Mr Ghai for almost 10 years, from Taal days. We have always been in love with musicals. He came for the opening for my [Broadway showBombay Dreams in London and said that he wanted to do a full-fledged musical with the great dancers and live orchestra. I think his dream came true with Yuvvraaj.
I gave a Lord of the Rings CD to Mr Ghai, and he fell in love with it. He wanted his musical to be like that. There were about 400 people involved in each track of LOTR, and he said we would get those 400 people. So it started with that vision. Some of the tracks were as huge as that, others were simple.
How do you handle the pressure of making different music, especially in a Subhash Ghai film?
Pressure has always been there but if you let it get to you, you will land up doing wrong things. So we go with what our heart says.
Working as a team reduces the tension, especially with Gulzarsaab and Mr Ghai. It becomes easier.
What is new about the music of Yuvvraaj?
With Yuvvraaj, it is like taking a U-turn -- going back to orchestra and choir that you don't get to hear these days. Most of the music is beat-oriented and the industry thinks that that is what we want. I think it is a very bold step by Mr Ghai to do what we like and give people what we want them to like.
How well do you relate with the tag-line of the film: Music binds love?
Music always binds love. It affects people's lives. It's the best thing about me coming into music. If I hadn't got into music and had been a bank manager, I wouldn't have got the joy of entertaining people or changing their lives. I'm greatful to God for that.
Do you like the response the music is getting?
I did not expect the music to be out this early. I thought they would take months to launch the music. But T-Series has done a great job in promoting the music. So it is a blessing for all of us -- Mr Ghai, Gulzarsaab, me and the whole team.
Taal had larger than life music as well.
Taal had more ethnic and electronic stuff, Yuvvraaj is more classical. I wont call it pure classical but it has traces of acoustic and orchestral instruments.
You have had five hit albums this year. Where do you get your inspiration from?
Most of them were done in the last two of years. [Music forJaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na was done two years ago, Jodhaa Akbar was done last year... we started with Yuvvraaj last year. God has been very kind to me by giving me 5 superhits this year.
What is music, according to you?
When I started off, I wasn't interested in music. I realised the power of music when I started composing at the age of 18. I knew then that music could have your own expression and your own voice. It led me to spiritualism and that keeps me going.
Can you give some tips to aspiring musicians?
All they need to do is take a flight to Chennai and join my school for music.



Katrina is a part of an orchestra in the film, and plays the cello. And the beautiful actress knows how important music is to Hindi cinema.
Watch the video to hear what Katrina has to say about the music, and don't miss her favourite song, Muskura.



Ask Salman Khan about the music of Yuvvraaj and he says, "It's wonderful. I am very excited about the film and I hope it does well."
The actor seems to be quite excited about his new film. He gives us an unplugged version of Dost -- check out the video.




Courtesy: rediff.com

No comments: