Thursday, July 24, 2008

Aamir unplugged: The star on Imran and upcoming projects

Aamir Khan is going through the best phase, professionally. "No one can predict which way the pendulum will swing, before a film releases. But Jaane Tu…Ya Jaane Na has fared beyond my expectations. I only wish Chachajaan [the late Nasir Husain] was alive to share the happiness. He was very close to Imran," says Aamir in a heart-to-heart conversation.

With Imran's debut vehicle proving a major hit, is Aamir guiding his nephew how to go about in his career?

I would never do that. It's important to take your own decisions. You must learn to walk without crutches. Right from the start of my career, I took my own decisions. I made mistakes, but those were my mistakes. I think, I've learnt more from my failures than hits and I would advice Imran the same.

But a number of people feel that if one wants to sign Imran, it has to be via Aamir. True?

Yeah, that's what everyone feels. In fact, a number of people do call up, enquiring about Imran, but I tell them, Yeh lo number, Imran ko khud phone karo," he laughs.

You have incorporated a song that was deleted from the final version of Jaane Tu…Ya Jaane Na. Why?

It's my favourite number, but Mansoor, Abbas and I took a call jointly. We felt the song was only making the film lengthier. But since the results are out, the song has been added in its third week. Initially, we thought of retaining it for just one week. But looking at the feedback, we may stretch it to three weeks. However, let me add, the song will not be a part of the final cut in the DVD. It will be featured in the unseen portions.

What’s up next as Ghajini is almost complete and slated for release in November?

I will begin shooting for Rajkumar Hirani's film from August onwards. It's called 3 Idiots. I am looking forward to working with Madhavan and Sharman Joshi [the Rang De Basanti team]. Kareena is also doing the film.

The topic moves on to his next project. Has he thought of his next directorial venture?

Not yet! I haven't started looking for stories either. Earlier, I was busy with Ghajini, then the release of Jaane Tu…Ya Jaane Na took most of my time.

But the buzz is, Aamir intends casting Bachchan Sr in his next film.

I was at a loss of words when Mr Bachchan said that he would love to work in a film directed by me. He's my favourite actor. It would be a privilege to direct him, but like I said, I haven't zeroed in on a subject yet.

What about Delhi Belly? Reportedly, the film will be made in English and not Hindi.

That's true! We are targeting the global audience. I don't want it to be a bilingual. We tried that earlier with Mangal Pandey but it didn't work.

With Ranbir Kapoor not part of the project anymore, will Imran step in?

Ranbir couldn't do the film due to date hassles. As for Imran, let's see. We haven't taken a call yet.


Courtesy: sify.com

No comments: