Friday, February 01, 2008

Nasreen to book Rahman

The author and documentary film-maker plans to write a volume on the composer

It’s an exclusive function, where Shah Rukh Khan was honoured by the French government. Hardly anyone managed to get near King Khan, except for one exception. Nasreen Munni Kabeer was especially ushered backstage, where Shah Rukh gave her a big hug, and the two chatted for quite a while before he made his way out.

Not very surprising, considering Kabir is one the few who made it to the inner world of Shah Rukh Khan by making two documentaries on the star. “When I made those documentaries, he was peaking as a star. But in the four or five years since I made the documentaries, (The Inner World of Shah Rukh Khan/The Outer World of Shah Rukh Khan), he has become a much bigger star,” she says.


Ask her if she remains in touch with Shah Rukh and she states humbly, “I do call him and we do chat once in a while, but he is a busy, busy man, I don’t expect him to have that kind of time for me. After all, I am just a small documentary film-maker.” However, Kabir has covered Shah Rukh Khan during his recent visit to Paris and may also do another documentary on the star. “I get footage from wherever I can and then put it together to see if I can get something interesting,” she says.

So is she working on another such project? “Well, I have always liked to work on those who have changed the course of the Hindi film industry. I did a documentary on Amitabh Bachchan many years back, and then Shah Rukh. I would love to do a book on A R Rahman soon. I am in talks with him. I hope it works out,” she says.

In the pipeline is also a project to transcribe the dialogues of Mehboob Khan’s classic Mother India and a few more documentaries.

“I love Mother India, it’s a classic film and also one that has so many layers. I am not only transcribing and translating the dialogues into English, I am also analysing the film as I go along. I have done the same for Mughal-E -Azam and I hope to do more such films,” she ends.

Courtesy: DnaIndia.com

No comments: