Saturday, January 16, 2010

Govinda experiments with seriousness in 'Raavan'

You have spent more than 25 years in the industry. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being here?

I’m actually a second-generation actor, so for my family it’s been a total of 58 years. My dad was a hero in the ’40s and mom was a classical vocalist. There aren’t any disadvantages since it always gets the best out of you.

You are currently working on as many as five movies.

I’m shooting four movies; after all of the experience, it’s just another day at work for me. I don’t need to manage time or need extra energy. I’m shooting for Naughty @ 40 now. My other movies are Run Bhola Run, Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai, Chai Garam and Raavan.

Tell us about the much awaited film Raavan and your role in it.

My role is very different from the movies which I generally do. The film is inspired by the Ramayana. The characters in the movie have traits similar to that of the people in the epic. I was offered a cameo but after looking at my work Mani Ratnam offered me an elaborate role.

You play Hanuman. How different or similar is your character from the mythological character?

This being commercial cinema you shouldn’t compare it to the Ramayana. Even though certain characters are based on the epic, it isn’t a mythological film. The character in the movie has certain traits of Hanuman but it’s a modern-day movie.

Working with Mani Ratnam must have been an experience.

Mani Ratnam is one of the best directors the industry has seen. I hope this is the beginning of a great association.

But you have never been associated with the Mani Ratnam kind of cinema?

I have done all kind of roles but this is a new experience for me.

You continue to be paired opposite younger heroines. How do you still manage to do so?

I have been on a very balanced exercise and diet regime since the past couple of years.

David Dhawan and you have been an inseparable team. When do we see Partner 2?

David and I are very good friends but it’s not like we are inseparable professionally. We’ve both worked with different people. But we have been very lucky for each other. Whenever the team is ready everyone will know.

Do you want to do more issue-based cinema or are you happy entertaining the masses?

I’m not political when it comes to movies so I do roles which suit my personality, appeals to the audience and where I can deliver my best performance.

When is your daughter getting into movies? Do you have any plans of launching her?

She will get into movies when she gets a good subject. We will see how things turn out to be but my support and blessings will always be with her.

Courtesy:expressindia.com

No comments: