Monday, June 16, 2008

Asin is elated!


Asin is on a high.


“I am very happy with my work in Dasavathaaram,” she says. “It’s a very special film for everyone who worked on it. So I’m anxious to know how the audience accepts it.”

But while she’s blazing a trail down south, she’s also bagged big films in Bollywood. It’s even being said that she has moved to Mumbai for good. “I’ve had an apartment in Lokhandwala for over a year. It was only in December last that I moved there because my present commitments — both films and endorsements — require me to be in Mumbai,” she explains.


In Dasavathaaram, she plays not one but two characters. “It’s very exciting. I play Kodai, an Iyengar girl from the 12th century and Andal, an Iyengar girl from the present day. Though both are very traditional, religious characters, they’re different in their own ways,” says Asin.
And while Gautami is responsible for getting both looks right, it was Kamal Haasan who ensured that Asin perfected her Iyengar Tamil diction. “He’d come to the sets, listen to my dialogues and make all the corrections to get the grammar and the diction just right,” says Asin.

Neither of the characters gets to romance Kamal Haasan’s characters, she adds. “There is a whiff of love somewhere, but no visible romance. In fact, Andal and Govind (Kamal Haasan’s modern day scientist character) can’t stand each other,” says Asin.

But despite not romancing the legend, Asin has no regrets: “It was just wonderful working with him. That’s what counts. He’d do his stunts himself so we would do ours as well. Also, having a team of international experts do all the computer graphics was an added experience.”

As for her tryst with Bollywood, Asin is busy working on the remake of Ghajini with Aamir Khan. “It’s slated for a Diwali release and I reprise the character I played in the original. But it’s not a scene-by-scene remake. We’ve incorporated some changes in the script, which will make for a better movie. Even the songs are different with AR Rahman’s music.

“ What’s most interesting is that we’re shooting in sync-sound and Aamir was impressed that I don’t have the typical ‘Madrasi accent’,” she chuckles.

Even after Ghajini, Asin will be busy in Bollywood. Reports suggest she’s signed London Dreams opposite Salman Khan and Ajay Devgan and a film with director Priyadarshan.
She confirms that she’ll be doing more Hindi projects, but refuses to divulge more.
“I’d prefer that the filmmakers make official announcements before I go to town about my roles,” she avers.

Courtesy: timesofindia.com

No comments: