Saturday, June 28, 2008

Who’s Rahman’s favourite?

The singer and composer on B-town’s changing sounds and the magic of MICHAEL JACKSON

AR Rahman, who has composed for around 100 films and has won numerous awards, insists that even after spending over 15 years in the industry, he has a ‘hunger’ for good work.

“I want to set new benchmarks through every film. I’m not competing with anybody but myself. Each time I push myself a bit more. I like challenging myself with every project.”

Rahman, who is in town for his new film Ada, says he loves all the songs of the album but his favourite remains the title track Ishq ada hai and Hawa hawa.

Interestingly, the composer has been singing at least one song from each of his albums ( Tere bina in Guru and Khwaja Mere Khwaja in Jodhaa Akbar more recently). Rahman explains that he happens to sing songs that are left to be sung. “I normally don’t choose my tracks. I take what is left over. It’s funny that these tracks become hits,” he says. “With a leftover track I get the freedom to sing it the manner I want to. Maybe, it stands out because I work so much on it,” he laughs.

Ask him why he isn’t venturing into the international scene. “Why should I?” he questions. “I wanted to at one point of time. Something was shaping up but it didn’t work out. Right now, I’m very happy with the domestic scenario. I’m part of a change,” he says.

He adds, “Our industry is growing bigger and better. There is more fun composing now. The filmmakers are trying to do different things. It’s great living and working here.”

Ask him whose music he likes the best and Rahman reveals, “I love Michael Jackson’s music and style. He is a great artist. I love listening to him the most,” he signs off.

Courtesy: dnaindia.com

No comments: